Saturday, April 14, 2012

Curiosities

From the get-go the word curiosity takes on a few different meanings. Our first inclination may lead us to the most common use of the word to mean a "desire to know something" or as with the curiosity that killed the cat a "tendency to pry" that which usually bites us in the end. However, I like to use it the way Spock does when his "logical" mind comes across something that is outside of the paradigm. Another way to look at it might be the way Arsenio Hall referred to "things that make you go 'hmmmm'".

Recently, my outdated "dumb-phone" had gone on the fritz and so have all my other outdated, back-up cellphones. I am currently using my daughter fashionably pink phone and even this one has it's "curiosities." But, it got me thinking about the problems that we have with communication today. When someone doesn't text back or return our call, within what could be considered a reasonable time, we start wonder, "Did I press send?" or "Did I forget one word said the exact opposite of what I meant to say?" However, in reality, I think it speaks more to my impatience and arrogance to expect someone should stop what they're doing and tend to my co-dependent needs.

And that's what I believe to be the first step to self-improvement. Recognize that I have faults that need to be corrected. Look at yourself in the mirror and admit that you're not perfect, no one is. If you can accept that you're not beyond reproach, then make yourself a better person if for no one else do it for yourself. Don't be afraid to be your worst critic (as long as it doesn't lead to self-loathing).

No comments:

Post a Comment