Sunday, April 15, 2012

Heritage vs. Culture

These two terms are often used interchanegably. However, I see a clear distinction between the two. Keep in mind, I'm really no authority on the subject....and this is just a blog.

Having grown up in the multi-cultural city of Houston, I have always been drawn to the Chicano Culture. Although I actually lived in the 'burbs, attended a school in Midtown, and did not speak spanish, I always seemed to gravitate toward things latino. The sweet smell of a Refresceria (refreshment stand) and the sounds of cars blaring latin music tell me I'm home. Which brings me to Culture or Heritage: Chosen or Given.

I believe that Heritage is given to the individual, whether they are aware of it or not. It's not by choice as no one gets to choose their genetic make-up or family environment. So, the heritage I "enherited" was given to me, like it or not. The comfort I do find is not only the positive aspect but that in the negative I see that the challenges I go through today have been tackled by others before me. Some met success others did not. I have learned that no matter what comes my way I am not the first and certainly won't be the last but in everything,... I am not alone because of my heritage. At every opportunity I share my heritage with my children so that they too will never feel alone.

As for culture, I feel that it is more about chosing which group to belong to. Whether my children like knowing that they come from a family of circus clowns or not that is what has been given to them. However, they have all the control over which culture to embrace. As for me I consider myself Mexican in terms of ethnicity and Latino in terms of race but those are merely political terms. The culture I embrace is Latino culture. What means is I speak spanglish, my friends are loud and talk with their hands and music is ALWAYS playing somewhere. Oh, and where there's music... there's food. Mostly culture is how we grow up. Those unspoken, unwritten "principles" that govern how to raise your children, how often you go to church, what you do when go out or entertain guests and of course the dilect you speak. This is culture.


Either way you see it, you have a heritage ..like it or not. Yet, you should have a culture. Please don't entertain that thought "I'm an American" that's my culture. Nah, culture is not limited to race or ethnicity. Culture can be LA, ATL, NYC, or a Jersey thing that no one else understands. As for me, a native Texan I know all about culture, H-Town, D-Town, East Tex and Sananto ...represent your stomping grounds. >- (the peace sign for 'peace out')

No comments:

Post a Comment